March 18, 2009

my unusual job

back to work tomorrow, my thursday/friday job
(explained a little here & here)
my favourite part - being asked to paint
someones beloved pet dog or cat
perhaps a prize ewe or bull even
(well..... we do live deep in the countryside!)
*
firstly i sketch from photos provided, just to give me a feel

sometimes it takes quite a few goes

some of the photos are hard to interpret!!
but when i finish painting on the stone
i know that my work will help the folk it was done for
allowing them to feel a sense of comfort & closure
strange to think that some of my work
sits in little quiet kirkyards of sw scotland
(please excuse the bad photography ;-( )

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous19/3/09 03:39

    That sounds like a lovely memoriam for the people. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly such a special thing! And, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful to be able to do that for people :) Lovely drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice thing to be working on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very precious and so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous23/3/09 18:29

    This is really cool. Your blog is such a nice read. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be so rewarding to know the joy you bring to these pet lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across this post when I was also feeling privileged, but non-standard, about my job, which has recently expanded to include Tweeting in character as a dog! So, Watson the dog and I both love your paintings!

    http://twitter.com/followyournose

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my wee corner of blog land, I love to hear from you all and will visit as soon as I can.